Puerto Vallarta Weather Report
Welcome to Puerto Vallarta's liveliest website!
Contact UsSearch
Why Vallarta?Vallarta WeddingsRestaurantsWeatherPhoto GalleriesToday's EventsMaps
 101 HOTTEST FOR 2007
Sign up NOW!

Free Newsletter!
Puerto Vallarta News NetworkVallarta Living | April 2009 

Importing Used Vehicles to Mexico
email this pageprint this pageemail usPVNN

Many of our readers have written to us asking how to legally import used vehicles into Mexico, so we've done a little research to find the answers.

According to the official website for Mexican Customs (Aduana):

In order to legalize a US/Canadian vehicle in Mexico it is required that the importer/exporter processes a definitive import permit with the Mexican Customs Agency (Aduana.) All persons can import two vehicles per 12 month period without being officially recognized as an importer, and registering with the Mexican Secretary of Economy.

After importing a vehicle to Mexico it must be registered with the Secretary of Transport in the city where the importer intends to reside. After registering the vehicle local licence plates will be issued.

What vehicles qualify for importation:

• All vehicles must be at least 10 years old.

• All vehicles must be in a reasonable working condition and deemed safe for regular use.

• Passengers vehicles cannot provide seating for more than 15 passengers.

• Pick-ups must weigh less than 3200 kilos (7,056 pounds) with a full load.

• Trucks cannot have a load capacity of more than 4,536 kilos (10,001.9 pounds.)

• The VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) must correspond to a vehicle manufactured or assembled in Canada, the United States, or Mexico.

What vehicles do not qualify for importation:

Any vehicle intended for parts, destruction, junk, crush, scrap, salvage, or in a non-repairable state cannot be imported. Also vehicles that are not eligible for highway use, or that are not considered street legal cannot be imported.

Also, Dually 6 wheel pick-ups do not qualify for importation.

The Process

Documents Needed

In order to process an import permit (Pedimento de Importaciσn,) the importer must provide the following documents to the Mexican Customs Agency (Aduana):

1. An official sales receipt from the manufacturer or authorized distributor that outlines the vehicle make, model, importers name, and value of the vehicle.

2. Registration documents.

3. A certificate of origin from the manufacturer or authorized distributer. This document is only required for vehicles that are entering Mexico under the NAFTA agreement. Vehicles manufactured outside of Canada, Mexico, or the United States pay an additional 50% customs duty.

4. An import permit (Certificado de cupo) from the Secretary of Economy. This document is only required for vehicles that are entering Mexico under the NAFTA agreement.

5. Passport, and a photocopy of the importers passport.

6. A electric, water, or telephone bill less than three months old that displays the importers name and address.


All importers are subject to general import and value added tax. This amount will depend on the make, model, and value of the car. This amount can be estimated between $2000 to $4000.

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving
the included information for research and educational purposes • m3 © 2009 BanderasNews ® all rights reserved • carpe aestus